Monday, March 5, 2012

Missing My Nana

I make a calendar for the Bruno clan every year for Christmas. Each of my 7 nieces/nephew get their own featured month. Each birthday and anniversary is marked clearly with my family member's photo. It keeps me organized on who needs a card but also all of my appointments, etc.

March is a busy month on our Bruno calendar with five birthdays.

As I sat down to mark conferences and appointments on the calendar, one photo jumped out at me. My Nana. She passed away March 15, 1999. Her gorgeous picture falls on that day for us all to remember (we would without the picture) this amazing person.

Granted, I was fairly young when she passed but her influence, love, and words live on deep in my heart.

I know that everyone loves their grandparents dearly and my love for mine isn't especially unique. But to me it is. I loved my Nana more than I could ever express in words on this silly blog. She was the kind of lady that would literally "give her shirt off of her back" for anyone in need. She was tough when she needed to be and I knew not to cross her. She dressed "to the nines" and had the best sense of humor. She loved to sing, play piano, and dance. She was definitely the life of the party. Everyone fell in love with her.

I didn't want to believe she was sick, and I definitely didn't want to believe that my Nana was going to die. She was a lady I absolutely loved spending time with. Our afternoon lunches are fond memories of mine.

The best part about our relationship was that Nana loved me just as much as I loved her. Her words have fueled my internal drive to do the best at everything. She thought and believed I could be something. She believed I could do something really special.

Consequently, whenever I felt like I couldn't do something...Nana's words made me believe I could. When it seemed like I should just give up...Nana's beliefs eased my pain. So many times, I have felt like we never will be parents and maybe we should just throw in the towel.  But then, Nana always believed I would do something special.

I miss Nana a lot. I wish I could talk to her. I wish I could see her. Even as it approaches 13 years since she was been gone, I take her everywhere I go. I am confident that I will have the opportunity to be reunited with Nana and my other dearly loved grandparents one day.

Thanks for listening. Just missing her today.

-Lisa-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know how you REALLY feel...