Monday, January 9, 2012

Prayer

Prayer is important. It didn't used to be important to me and I only prayed when I needed something from God and that was a bad habit to get into. I started studying and realizing that I was too needy. I needed to recognize the blessings that God has so richly blessed me with. So I started a new habit to replace my bad one.

Everyday on the way to work, I spend it in prayer. It is a 25 minute drive and it allows me to focus for the day. I put on my Women of Faith praise team CD and sing right along with it. I then thank God for the day, my family, my friends, my job, and all the many gifts that He has given me. It prevents me from begging Him for things that I want.

So often, we just use God as a sounding board to our problems. How often do we actually praise Him in our talks with Him? I know that I wasn't. I challenge you to start using your talks with God to be more about what you already have than what we really want. It has changed my relationship with Him and also changed my outlook on my life.

Of course, I still find myself asking God for things. Be it a family, protection, guidance, or the health of people. But I am making more of an effort to praise Him. I am not a perfect conversationalist with God, I try. And that's all that matters.

Here is the quick prayer I prayed this morning:

Thank you, God for this new week and new day. I know that Mondays can be difficult but I know that you are with me guiding my way. I will use this day to honor you. Thank you for my loving husband who loves me for who I am. I am so glad that you chose him to be my partner in life. Thank you for guiding me to the path of teaching. I can't imagine doing anything else with my life. I am especially grateful for my family. They have helped me get to this point in my life and their influence guided me to you. Be with me throughout this day. When I start to waiver, I know that you will be there with me to put me on the right path. Direct me to make the right decisions for my kids and for my life today. It is in your Son's name that I pray. Amen.


-Lisa-

3 comments:

  1. Lisa, I had no idea the struggles you and Jeremy have been going through--so my profound apologies for the really stupid baby comment I made at Thanksgiving! Your blog is inspiring, and are prayers are always with you and Jeremy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christina,
    No worries with comment. I don't even remember it at all! It is kind of a tough subject to talk about with people so it isn't a big deal at all. We have just dealt with the issues privately but it is driving me crazy so I thought it time to write about it and not care who knows anymore. Congrats on your news by the way! And we appreciate the prayers, we will never turn those down!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, you are so awesome. My brother is so very lucky to have you in his life. I know we don't ever really talk much, about anything, but I am so glad to have you be a part of our family. One day, things will be as they should-you and Jeremy making me an aunt, and I can't wait. I know you guys will be awesome parents, and I pray every day for you guys. The watery eyes have finally cleared up now. It is so amazing to know the power of one's thoughts and feelings and the effects it may have on you. I never thought about prayer in that way. I find myself complaining about so much that I almost forget what I have to be thankful for. I love you guys so very much!! Love always, Jennifer

    ReplyDelete

Let me know how you REALLY feel...