Thursday, January 24, 2013

I Feel Like...

First of all, I feel like I am getting the shaft when it comes to ultrasounds. When I was with my RE, Dr. Kim, I had an ultrasound every week. I haven't seen MY BABIES for four weeks! I have heard heartbeats a couple of times, but not SEEN them. And I won't see them until our 20 week gender scan in...wait for it...7 more weeks!

I know that twins nowadays are more normal than they used to be. I know that I am not necessarily "high risk" but I just feel like I am being treated like a regular pregnancy so far. Maybe that is how it should be...I don't know. I am new at this whole pregnant thing. I have appointments every four weeks until we hit 20 weeks. Then the plan is to have appointments every two weeks.

So my question to you guys (the wiser ones), is this normal?? Am I just worried for nothing? I know I got spoiled with Dr. Kim but I just feel like I should see them on the screen. By the time 20 weeks hits, I won't have seen them for nearly 12 weeks!! That is insane!

I have questioned them multiple times but they said since they can find the two heartbeats and they are healthy heartbeats that I don't need an ultrasound. But I want one!

We turned down the NT scan. I know we could have seen them then but it really isn't as accurate with twins and to be honest, it doesn't matter to us. We aren't going to terminate the pregnancy so we are fine with that choice.

So, sorry for the rant. But I am concerned that I am not seeing them as much as I should. So please let me know if this is normal or not.

-Lisa-

6 comments:

  1. Typically they should do one at 10 weeks (first official one with your OB) and then every 6 weeks after that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This stinks!!! You should have at least had an u/s when you started at the OB!! We aren't doing the NT scan either. Also, we start going every two weeks at 20 weeks too. If you really want to have an u/s you could go to a private place like Baby's Kicking? If you have any in town. You do have to pay out of pocket. Thinking of you hun!! I want to see your babies too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would go to a specialty place if you want additional ultrasounds. I had one at 12 weeks at my first appointment with my OB, and then my Anatomy Scan. It was hard going from ultrasounds every week to nothing. =( But it makes me feel less stressed because I was always anticipating something to be wrong or not measure on time. We do have our 3d/4d planned between 28-30 weeks. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take it as a good sign that bubs are going well!!! :)

    I was told I was a high risk singleton at the 12 weeks scan, but apart from the 19 week morph scan, I haven't seen her again. SO FRUSTRATING.

    Happy second tri with your babies! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. ICLW #55. That sounds like the schedule for my not-high-risk singletons - u/s at 8 weeks and anatomy scan at 20 weeks. I overheard the nurse at my OB tell someone that after 13 weeks the vaginal ultrasound is too close to see the babies (because they are so big in comparison), but that the belly scan doesn't get enough detail (because they are still so small). I think that unless you have a medical condition that they really NEED to see the babies, they assume that heartbeat = all fine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is no reassurance like a visual, and while your OB undoubtedly has all of your prior scans in your file, if you don't feel 100% at ease tell them. If it isn't better immediately, you may want to look into finding someone else. They've been through this countless times, you haven't. You need extra TLC during this time, and that's okay!! Have you and Jeremy considered a doula who specializes in multiples?

    ReplyDelete

Let me know how you REALLY feel...