Saturday, July 20, 2013

Max & Harper's Birth Story Part 2

If you missed Part 1 of this crazy story you can read about it here.

I left off as I was wheeled into the OR. I had the epidural and it was making me a little hazy at this point. I knew what was going on but people and things were moving around so quickly. I moved to a really uncomfortable bed. I remember I was more concerned with messing up the epidural cord that I knew was in my back.

It was around 11am by the time I was moved and re-hooked up to the machines. Dr. Driskoll did something "down there" and asked if I could feel it. I could so they asked me to press the epidural button to administer more pain meds. I was really not in pain at all, which was fabulous!!

I am not exaggerating when I say that there were probably 25 people in the delivery room with me. I had two anaesthesiologists, my three nurses, the doctor, and each baby had their staff of 4 nurses too. It felt like there was a party for their arrival. Jeremy was right by my head so I could see him, talk to him and look at him. He said I even made jokes with him throughout the delivery.

I thought the delivery was going to be like the movies. You push a couple times and it is over. (However, I now realize I had it very easy!) That is not the case. Multiple times through the pushing process I declared to the room that I couldn't do it anymore. They kept telling me he was "right there". Well, he seemed to be right there the whole time and I think they were just telling me that to bait me into not giving up! One nurse, Cindy, was in my face and ear the whole time. She was a great coach. She kept my eye on the prize of seeing my babies. On my seemingly short breaks of pushing, Jeremy would soothe me and rub my shoulder. I pushed through contractions for about 25 minutes before my beautiful baby boy, Maxwell, made his arrival into this world. It was the most glorious moment of my life up until that point. He was perfect in every way!


Maxwell Salvatore Marc was born at 11:31am weighing 6 pounds 10 ounces and 19 inches long. He looked right at me and melted my heart. Then he was whisked away with his nurse team.

Then, I realized that I had to do this again with my baby girl!

However, the doctors and nurses were busy talking with each other and using the ultrasound machine. As I looked back at Jeremy, I knew something was wrong.

My baby girl quickly slid into place and tried to come out hand first. Dr. Driskoll explained that I may need a C-section. If I delivered Harper the way she was presenting, I could bruise her arm but she would be okay. I did not want a C-section by any means so agreed to push her out.

They had to screw in a heart rate monitor to the top of her head so they could closely monitor her. Dr. Driskoll said she would allow me to push through three contractions. This scared me because I pushed through more than 10 with Max. I tried. I pushed with every ounce of energy I had left. After three contractions, Harper's heart rate dropped severely.

The room started bustling and I didn't know what was happening. Dr. Driskoll left her post to come up to talk to me. She said that we had to get her out now. We didn't have time to dose up the epidural for a regular C-section. We were in an emergency situation and I would be knocked out. I cried and pretty sure screamed out. I kept saying "No" over and over again. Jeremy was in shock as well. This isn't what we had planned.

Jeremy had to leave the OR and be with Maxwell. I was left to try and fight the anesthesalogist. I literally batted away the gas mask multiple times. My arms had to be restrained before I drifted off into dreamland.

I missed Harper's birth. So did Jeremy. It makes me sad but I know it was best for her and that's all that matters.



Harper Evelynn Rose was born at 11:42am weighting 5 pounds 9 ounces and was 18.5 inches long.


Harper had to stay hooked up the monitors for a few hours but nurses made sure to bring both of my babies to me as soon as I was out of recovery. Harper came to me still hooked to monitors but I was in love right away! She was released to join Max and us around 7pm that night.


We were able to come home Sunday, July 14.
 
Unfortunately, when we got home we had to lose a member of our family. Our cat, Lola, showed what we expected from her--she would not be a good fit with babies. She is a jealous cat and reared that jealousy towards our babies. I have had her for 8 years and I cried for days when we got rid of her. She loved me and that was really it. I needed to make that difficult choice to keep my babies safe. I hope the shelter we put her in finds her an awesome home.
 
 
We have had lots of visitors and LOTS of help! Seriously, my family and friends have been amazing. My mom, sister, and mother in law have spent time with me during the day. My mom and sister cleaned my house. Multiple people have brought us meals. We are truly blessed by all of the help and love we have had from others.
 
-Lisa-

5 comments:

  1. Oh they are so sweet!! Loved reading their birth story, and I'm glad everyone is doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. cute pictures! Love the ones outside the front door! So glad they are both here and healthy despite the crazy birth story with Harper!! So excited for you and thanks for sharing about the birth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing birth story!! They are just too cute for words!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!!! What a lovely story!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have loved reading through this again! Helps me prepare for myself. I really really want a vaginal delivery as well, but my fear is to have one vaginally and then have to have a c-section. Like you, I absolutely don't want that to happen. However, I know that if you can do it, so can I! If I have to that is. :)

    ReplyDelete

Let me know how you REALLY feel...